Poetry Love


I took this photo, and was reminded of an old favorite.  The last time I visited this piece was probably 20 years ago, but it still speaks to me.  The winter brings with it a sadness I can relate to.  That does not mean I like to dwell there, but it makes sense to me, and with it's understanding, helps me to better accept the difficult things in life.


What does this poem say to you? 

Winter: A Dirge

The wintry west extends his blast,
And hail and rain does blaw;
Or, the stormy north sends driving forth
The blinding sleet and snaw:
While tumbling brown, the burn comes down,
And roars frae bank to brae;
And bird and beast in covert rest,
And pass the heartless day.

The sweeping blast, the sky o’ercast,
The joyless winter-day,
Let others fear, to me more dear
Than all the pride of May:
The tempest’s howl, it soothes my soul,
My griefs it seems to join;
The leafless trees my fancy please,
Their fate resembles mine!

Thou Pow’r Supreme, whose mighty scheme
These woes of mine fulfil,
Here, firm, I rest, they must be best,
Because they are Thy will!
Then all I want (O, do Thou grant
This one request of mine!)
Since to enjoy Thou dost deny,
Assist me to resign.


Comments

  1. Just like the seasons, grief is a part of the circle of life. That is a stunning photo and a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much Stacy. And of course, you are right to say grief is a part of the circle of life. It is funny then, that we spend so much time trying to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this hit spot in my heart I remember this poem and after the last two years it is hard for me not to think of the winter like a grief filled season. It is not a place I want to stay and try to get past it. This is a difficult time of year for many.I will enjoy these days even if the grief is just lying below the surface I know this too will pass as the seasons pass. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B. Thank-you so much for stopping by. Winter is, for me, a complicated mix of sadness and joy, and I look forward to leaving it behind.

      Delete
  4. Hello, lovely image and poem! Grief is pat of life and for some reason I do try hard not to think of it. The holidays can be especially hard with loved ones not around any more. We are having a mild winter so far, I hope the warmer temps stick around for ahwile. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading the comments. Let me know you have been visiting, and leave a little note. Also let me know if you have a blog, I would love to stop by for a visit.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Grow Your Blog