Blurbs

My daughter and I were out exploring and enjoying all the life that has returned to the area. The "pond" as we call it, is teeming with life. We spent some time just observing and entertaining ourselves by watching all the different birds. The little black and white ducks are called Buffleheads. We cracked up when we read that. As if ducks weren't goofy enough, someone had to give them a goofy name. Part of the description in our bird book said "tiny, chunky ducks." Again we had to chuckle. The photo of the three swimming is cutest - look at the center one. Chunky definitely describes that one, and I think they should be called "Blurbs." You can't tell by the photos, but these ducks are very small when compared to the mallards swimming nearby. 
The last shot is of an American Avocet. They are not shy and are very easy to photograph.




Comments

  1. Good thing the ducks don't have internet. Can you imagine how they would feel being called "chunky"? LOL

    Buffleheads ARE one of my favorites. I think they are adorable.

    Dee (the human with the biggish behind --- I'm not fat, I'm "fluffy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your phots and we have buffleheads here to...but not yet this year. Only some mallards have made it back as most of the water is still frozen. They are such fun little birds and indeed an interesting choice of names. I've not seen an Avocet in person..so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news that you can get out to the pond - as I am in our city apartment these days I will take any virtual fresh air and narute I can. Especially when it come with free bufflehead grins! Happy days.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading the comments. Let me know you have been visiting, and leave a little note. Also let me know if you have a blog, I would love to stop by for a visit.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Grow Your Blog