Early Spring Yard Work

Last year at this time, I was still living in Cold Lake, Alberta.  I would have been packing and showing the house, and getting ready for the move in July.  Now I'm all settled in, and enjoying the house.  Time for yardwork!  There is not much I'm able to do without a tractor, as much of the work that needs doing is major landscaping.  But I can make a few improvements...


Here is my fire pit area (one of them anyway).  I didn't mind the fire pit on its own, but the rocks make it look fabulous.  You can see I've been raking leaves in the background.  There is still a lot more raking to do.


This is an overall view of the part of the yard I've been working on.  It is on the west side of the house, and right now is my favourite part of the entire 10 acres.  I can't wait to see what it will look like when the trees fill in and my planters are overflowing!  Cleaning up fallen branches, pruning trees, raking and weeding were all part of the workload.  But the difficult part, (and the most fun) was creating the stone borders and paths.  They are only partly done.


A view of the path that leads to my firewood pile.  I plan to have my husband build a charming, little shelter for the wood.  I just love little buildings!


This is the view of the path coming out of the area where the firewood and pit is.  I plan on creating several little shade gardens in here as well.  I'm not too sure how it's going to look yet.  It is a work in a progress, and I just sort of go with the flow.


This is the start of another path going into the woods where last fall, my daughter made an exciting find.  Did I mention I like paths?


Look closely.  See the old stone and cement foundation?  It dates back to the early 1900's when it was a service station, and 'highways' were dirt roads.  There are small trees growing in it now, but we will gently remove them, and create our own little secret garden.  My favourite thing about this foundation is all the lichen and moss it has growing on it.


An interesting plank I found lying around, and a couple of logs make up this little stand for my blue planter collection.  The best thing about this?  Simple and natural. 

I did all this work, every single stone in the past few days.  Not a good way to reintroduce myself to yard work.  My legs are killing me, as are my triceps, and even my back is complaining a bit.  And even though I promised myself I would rest today, once it warmed up outside, I just couldn't help myself.
But now I have run out of rocks in my yard, and I have to wait until the fields dry up a bit more, before I can hit up the really well stocked piles.  I also have to wait for my husband to find the time to help me move some of the really big stones.  We will need some big equipment for those. 
I can't wait to keep going!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Grow Your Blog