One of Many Different Collections

I fell in love with milk glass years ago while browsing through a Martha Stewart magazine.  So I blame her completely for this little obsession.  I didn't get serious about collecting it until a few years ago when I realized I could get some really fantastic deals on it.  There is never a time when I don't have my eyes open for it.  I never forget to check at garage sales or thrift shops for it, and although there have been several pieces arrive broken, I still find myself looking online for unique pieces.  I love all the pieces, but I have the most fun with this collection when I find a vase or a candlestick holder that I don't already have, for only 10 cents.


I have more pieces than are shown here.  I actually use everything I have for various occasions.  I have an exceptionally beautiful butter dish and covered sugar bowl, currently on my counter.  There are several vases throughout the house.  There are even several broken pieces out in the garden shed awaiting some creative stroke of genius.  I recently bought a well made fake, plastic piece that I intend to use outside when my cutting garden is ready.


The cupboard that is shown is old, obviously and all decked out for Christmas.  It was also handmade and the person who sold it to me said it was built between 1890 and 1900.  It is heavy, a bit crooked and the most solid piece of furniture I have ever come across.  I have loved it since the day I came across it, and I knew from the moment I saw it that it would be the home of my collection.  I came across the punch bowl unexpectedly this summer while on a little camping trip in Moose Jaw, Sk.  I was so excited to meet the antique dealers there and learn that they travel frequently to search for items that are uncommon up here in Canada.  I look forward to visiting them again soon.

Of course, it is only natural, if you collect something, to have a Pinterest board dedicated to it.  Some of these pieces I have, others I dream of finding.  I don't have any blue milk glass yet, but I do have some black pieces that I bring out at Halloween.  They would also look fantastic in a formal setting.  The little blue birds in the bowl were put out by Avon, in the 70's I think.  The bowl is milk glass and the birds are soap.  My birdies are a wee bit discolored, but still adorable.

I should really be careful when I ask this question, as hearing about or seeing other people's collections can send me off on another tangent, but what is it that you love to collect?

Comments

  1. I have several pieces of milk glass. I like the way you have displayed your pieces. I also collect pink and purple glass and children's books from the 1930's to 50's. I also collect china with art deco patterns. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your milk glass is so beautiful, my sister collects it. And I love your big antique piece, I am an antique lover and have many pieces in my home.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have a milk glass collection.... I just can't seem to help myself! I went to a book store once and looked through the pages of a milk glass "book"..... oh my--- I've never seen most of the items in that book. I was struck dumb wanting it ALL lol
    big hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading the comments. Let me know you have been visiting, and leave a little note. Also let me know if you have a blog, I would love to stop by for a visit.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Grow Your Blog