Reminders

This mug found its way to me from Whitehorse, a city in the Yukon territory.  Every time I see this mug, I think of the trip that my family and I took up to that northern part of Canada in 2018.  The North is beautiful in a way that resonates with me. Trees and lakes. That's where my heart is. I love the ocean and it's beaches and the view of a mountain from a distance. But, put me in the middle of a forest with a lake just a short walk away, that's my heaven. I live in the middle of the prairies now, with farmland all around me. It's beautiful in it's own way, but it's the forest I long to be in. Trees are becoming more scarce in my neck of the woods as farmers have to clear their land to make room for the huge machinery that does the job of feeding the world today. I'm always sad to see the new piles of trees that sit ready to be burned when they are dry, and I'm sure it's hard on the humans who have made that choice. But there is a huge population to feed. Huge. And even with all the efforts to produce food, there are still far too many hungry people (and animals) in the world.

That is why I like to be in the middle of a forest. A place untouched that is (in my mind) a world away from humankind and our enormous appetite. It is a break from reality, one I don't deserve, because I live very comfortably and so I am doing my part in overburdening our environment. 

I sat down this afternoon to contemplate what I loved so much about this mug. I really didn't expect to find myself feeling so heavy.  Hopefully this mug, and it's sweet owl tea ball won't be all we have left eventually to experience the forest.



 

Comments

  1. Wow! You explained what my mom loved. Her home, inside her heart, was always in a forest near a nice placid lake in the north. She loved winter but her favourite season was Fall. She loved anything belonging to the woods and her favourite colour was green. You brought back some sweet memories my mom told to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea - yes life is where we are ... yet our hearts are often elsewhere. I'd have loved to have visited the Yukon when I was out in Canada ... so you were really lucky to have had that visit. Just enjoy your prairie home ... take care and have a happy new year - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with trees, give me a beautiful lake with trees and that is my happy place even though I live near the Gulf of Mexico, I adore lakes, rivers, trees and mountains. Stay safe my friend and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading the comments. Let me know you have been visiting, and leave a little note. Also let me know if you have a blog, I would love to stop by for a visit.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Grow Your Blog