Autumn Blessings

I have truly been enjoying my yard this year, especially now when the garden is paying me back in full.  I'm sure you all must think that all I grow are various types of squash, but cucumbers, corn, potatoes, corn, carrots, beans, peas and lettuce have all been plentiful this year and enjoyed by everyone.
 
It makes all kinds of sense to grow your own food if you can, but why do I spend so much energy on pumpkins and gourds? I have been asked this question many times, and have even been accused of being off my rocker. I'm not sure that I can articulate a clear answer here and I don't really think there is a need to, but I'll give it a go.
 
With the gourds and pumpkins that I adorn my yard with, it is about making our ordinary fall, extraordinary. To add colour and texture and of course with anything that grows, there is that element of magic. How all of these seeds that pretty much look identical can produce so many various types of squash is fascinating.
 
And then of course, there is the treasure hunt! You just never what you will find among the vines. "Life is like a mixed gourd patch, you never know what you're gonna get." -Me.  
 
I guess, the answer is  - FUN.  I find it enjoyable.  Speaking of enjoyable, I've picked up an old project from about 2 years ago and I've finished it.  The goal here was to use up yarn ends. So I present to you my hobo blanket. I thought I would donate it, but my son has claimed it as his own, so it stays.


Bear is thoroughly enjoying the cooler weather, and he loves the pumpkins too!


Another creation using scrap bits of 2x6 wood. 


I love to go fro drives in the fall.

One of the paths to my fire pit. No, I do not plan to rake those leaves.

Comments

  1. Om my, Andrea! I love the last photo so much! why you grow so many gourds and pumpkins is well explained there and the leaves are a wonderful fall carpet!
    You did great with the wood pumpkin too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the path to your fire pit. I scolded my husband this past weekend for blowing the leaves away from the house. I LOVE THEM! Nothing like fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous path to enjoy! I think I grow flowers for the same reason, just because it adds some fun in my life. I have thought about growing pumpkins each year because I love the huge vines ... I just think I might not want to lose half my yard for them ;) People must love to see all the pumpkins and squash decorating your place in the fall ... they probably really look forward to it!!
    We used to live in a house with three enormous sugar maples in the backyard. Our next door neighbour's boys would come over and ask to have all our leaves ... we used to have to bag them all up for collection, so we were happy to throw half of them over the fence for the kids to play in.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What delight to grow so many gourds and pumpkins, and to see the amazing variety that you are able to grow! I may try to do that next year, although our growing season here is very short. My pumpkin crop ended last Friday with our freeze. I am currently ripening my pumpkins in the greenhouse. I love your leaf-lined walkway with the pumpkins, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea - Autumn certainly brings us delightful views and wonderful produce ... good walks too - love the hobo blanket - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea - I absolutely love all your pumpkins and gourds. I never did get any planted this year which was so disappointing. The wedding here used up all of our time and so many areas of the property never got touched. Your pathway to the fire pit is wonderful!! The photos of the fields and the water are beautiful. Take care, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't fathom someone questioning growing PUMPKINS!!! Pumpkins are PERFECT and I'm glad you enjoy them so much. I certainly enjoy seeing all your pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked my only 3 pumpkins and they weren't very pretty but they are interesting! I usually hit the Farmer's market and gather lots of pumpkins and gourds. Your yard and I would get along really well I think! Fall is tomorrow but our temps have been so hot this past week that it feels like July...next week a cool down is coming and I'm so ready! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish it would cool down where I am. We have had over 30C here for the past week and it's going to go into next week too. Your afghan looks like it would be a comfy blanket to use when watching a good movie. Love your doggie and that last picture just speaks fall. I love how it looks like you made big acorns using squash

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could grow food here. My attempts have met with utter failure. And since Fall is my favorite season and we do not experience it here I want you to have double the fun, some for me of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, happy Autumn to you! I love the shot of Bear, very cute! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Autumn to you guys and Bear! Oh, the path is delightful! I love fall and admire you for all the different things you grow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The path with all the pumpkins and gourds is so pretty!! It looks like something out of a fairytale.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading the comments. Let me know you have been visiting, and leave a little note. Also let me know if you have a blog, I would love to stop by for a visit.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Those Colourful Fuzzy Things