Grandpa Cookies

My Grandfather always had a bag of 'Dad's' cookies on hand. Out of all the choices, the chocolate chip ones remain my favorite. I love to bake, and I rarely buy cookies, but about once a year, I come across a bag of these, and there in no resisting, (and yes, this is the big bag). One bite, and I'm transported back to a young girl on a warm autumn day, waiting for Grandpa to come back into the yard, turn off the tractor, and invite me to share his lunch with him. He always brought extra, and he even let me have some of his coffee, just a sip. It was the perfect afternoon moment. Later on, when Grandpa could no longer farm, we visited him in town. There was always a bag of cookies sitting by his refridgerator. He must have spent more money on cookies than any other grocery, because there were 5 of us Grandaughters, and we were constantly there, eating his cookies. When we got old enough, he sent us uptown with the money and a list, and I would always, without fail, pick these cookies.
My Grandpa passed away more than 15 years ago. It is so hard to believe that so much time has passed since sharing this special treat with him. But I'll always have my memories, and seeing as how they have been making these cookies since 1929, why would they stop now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Grow Your Blog