New Friends

I have a new animal at the top of my favourite list.  Llamas.  They were at the bottom of my favourites list before last week.  One scared the dickens out of me when I was a small child by snatching the ice cream cone out of my hand. That was nearly 40 years ago, and it left a such an impression on me that I haven't gone near them since. I thought they were rude and unpredictable, but have since learned that it was more than likely the poor animal's situation that made him like that. I'm not a big fan of travelling petting zoos. Visiting animals at a happy farm is a much different experience than visiting them under the very stressful circumstances that travel and crowds put them under.

These llamas are lucky enough to not only have more than enough space, but also they are cared for by an exceptional farmer who loves them, understands them and treats them as her family. When I heard there was a baby there, I invited myself over for a visit and was welcomed warmly not only by the lovely farmer, but also by all of her wonderful animals. I was taught to keep my hands behind my back and gently stick my nose out toward them, and sure enough, they responded by gently touching their nose to mine, and Bingo! Friends. Not one was rude, and there was absolutely no spitting, something llamas are infamous for.

I look forward to spending more time with these gorgeous creatures now that we've been properly introduced. I may even have the opportunity to photograph them in the Spring when they are groomed and getting ready to be sheared.  Did I mention this herd has won multiple awards for the quality of the fleece?


Baby is 5 months old and is posing with his older brother.

This is Baby's Grandpa.  Glorious creature.


A group of females visiting with Jinks, a lovely female kitty.
I didn't mention that there were also horses.  This female Arab has an exceptional disposition
and I spent a lot of time cuddling with her, as did Jinks.


Comments

  1. Hi Andrea - looks amazing ... and love the photos - and what a wonderful place to visit ... I look forward to more news and photos - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, they are cute animals. Love the photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your day! Wishing you a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love llamas and I keep trying to persuade my husband that we need one for our farm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love llamas they are something I wanted on the farm but never did get any. They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could see where you would have been afraid of them. I had a bad experience with a cow when I was younger and don't go near them if I can help it. These are wonderful looking animals, so fuzzy & cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful - these llamas look like they have bags of personality, great news that you are now friends. Bingo!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwwwwww...the llamas with Jinx is an adorable photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are just gorgeous and I am glad you have all become friends. They sound happy and healthy, what more could you ask for with these gorgeous creatures?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading the comments. Let me know you have been visiting, and leave a little note. Also let me know if you have a blog, I would love to stop by for a visit.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Those Colourful Fuzzy Things