Storm Season



Well, now here I am writing about the weather.  The picture above was taken on June 26 of this year.  The clouds were doing some interesting things, and even though Environment Canada hadn't issued any severe warnings, I didn't trust those skies. 
I didn't get any great photos of the storm that moved through here this afternoon.  I was busy preparing for the worst.  The wording of the warnings and the vocabulary of the meteorologists had me in a bit of a panic.  But now that the worst is over and all that came out of it, (for us) was a quick inch of rain, I can calmly talk about it.  I hope my neighbors come out of it as unscathed as we did. 
Wording like "Oklahoma style storm", and "worst weather in North America, possibly the world", had me carrying water and food down to the basement.  I moved my son's fish into a safe place, and had an emergency Tupperware container ready for my daughter's lizard.  I put my dog in the garage, ready to bring him in if the weather got too out of hand. 
Surprisingly, my kids handled all this very well.  They kept reassuring themselves and me that the chances were very slim that there would be a tornado or that lightening would strike the house.  But, I could see, when the lightening was constant and the thunder was rattling the windows and when the winds picked up, that they were nervous and just didn't want to let on to each other that they were a little scared. 
Part of the reason this particular storm didn't get them as riled up as it did me, was because they are both headed to summer camp tomorrow.  It is very difficult to ruin the moods of a 7 and 10 year old who get to do nothing but "awesomeness" for the next 5 days.  It was also pretty cute when my 7 year old son pointed out the river that was just moments before our driveway and said, "Looks like we won't be weeding the garden in the morning"!  I think I'll make him clean his room.
Now that the worst is over in my little corner of the world, I can get some sleep, but before I do that I'll send my love and prayers to everyone who is currently at the mercy of Mother Nature's wrath and to everyone who's life has been injured due to the terrible weather this Earth is capable of producing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Grow Your Blog